You’ve done your research to find the most rigorous graduate program available for a doctor of chiropractic medicine, doctor of naturopathic medicine, master of science in acupuncture, or master of science in oriental medicine. You may also want an immersive integrative medicine educational experience that is not available elsewhere. Whatever led you to National University of Health Sciences, we want your application process to go smoothly and successfully.
Here are three insider tips to help you successfully apply to one of the graduate degree programs at NUHS.
1. Be sure you fulfill the GPA, prerequisite coursework and bachelor’s degree requirements ̶ but if you don’t, we can help!
- Completed a baccalaureate degree, by date of entry. Don't worry if you haven't completed your degree when you apply. All documents aren't required to be submitted at the same time. You can start the process while still completing your prerequisite coursework and degree, and even receive a conditional admission, which will indicate your remaining requirements.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale). Those with between 2.75 and 2.99 may be considered for admission under an Alternative Admissions Track Plan (AATP).
- Completed prerequisite coursework that includes 24 hours of general education and 24 hours of life and physical science credits.
If you don’t meet these requirements, never fear because we offer you options for getting what you need! If you have a bachelor's degree but not all of the required science courses, you may enroll in NUHS’ prerequisite program to complete those courses. If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, you can earn it in the BS in Biomedical Science completion degree program at NUHS.
- 60 undergraduate semester credit hours for the MSAc program
- 90 undergraduate semester credit hours for the MSOM program
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale)
If you intend to pursue the DC or ND programs, it's important to choose the right undergraduate classes so you will be both prepared for our rigorous graduate programs and able to meet admission requirements. Check out our suggested course outlines, where we've listed specific courses that will meet NUHS admission guidelines.
2. Submit an Application and All Other Required Admission Documents
National University has a rolling admission schedule, which means that you can apply for entry into any of the three trimesters ̶ Fall (September), Spring (January) or Summer (May).
Apply early! NUHS programs are competitive, so it is important for you to apply as early as possible — ideally 9-12 months before your starting trimester. If your intended start term is sooner, contact the Admissions office right away to determine your next steps.
Here’s what you need to submit:
- A completed online or paper application with the $55 application fee
- Three short essays (400-500 words): The essays will allow us to better understand your reasons for selecting your program of study and your desire to pursue a degree at National University. Give thoughtful consideration to your answers and be sure to follow the stated guidelines. You don't have to submit the essays with your application. Spend more time writing excellent essays rather than rushing through them. It's not looked upon negatively if you send them separately from your application.
- Two character references: You will need to provide character references from past or current professors, employers or physicians that you may have shadowed. References must be mailed or emailed to NUHS directly from the person writing the reference. We will not take a reference (even if it's in a sealed envelope) delivered by an applicant.
- All official undergraduate college transcripts: We will need transcripts from every undergraduate institution you have attended – even if you only took a few classes at a school. Allow for enough time for your undergraduate institution to forward official transcripts. The time that is required for this varies from school to school. You can submit unofficial transcripts for an evaluation and provide official documents as soon as they're available.
3. Complete an Admissions Interview
You will be required to have a phone interview with your admission counselor. You will be asked a series of questions, the responses to which will become part of your admissions file. That process will allow us to better understand you, your career goals and your reasons for applying to NUHS. It's important to remember that your interaction with your counselor matters. Communicate in a professional manner with your admission counselor at all times. If you are deemed eligible for admission, it's your counselor who submits you to the admission committee for review.
Congratulations, You’re In! What’s Next?
If you are admitted into one of the graduate professional programs, you will be notified by letter. After you celebrate, be sure to pay the $225 seat deposit to hold your place. It's important that you pay that deposit promptly, as it's the only thing that will guarantee your spot in the program.
NUHS has an amazing group of Admission counselors who will be there for you every step of the way during the admission process. Feel free to contact them with any questions by phone at 1-800-826-6285 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you at NUHS!
Learn how you may be able to qualify for federal student aid or scholarships to finance your degree from NUHS. Download our complimentary finance guide today by clicking on the link below.