Wrapping Up Another Trimester & Thoughts About Clinical Laboratory Diagnosis

by Aug 12, 2022

Home » Naturopathic Medicine Student Blog » Wrapping Up Another Trimester & Thoughts About Clinical Laboratory Diagnosis

The end of another trimester is rapidly approaching, and I have been consistently preparing for the upcoming final exams. The majority of my exams will be cumulative, so I have also been reviewing content all the way back to Week 1. I can say with absolute certainty that I have learned a great deal of information this trimester. 

Last trimester, I wrote a blog post about how I am passionate about combining naturopathic medicine and functional medicine. I explained that I was just starting to read and interpret basic labs for abdominal pathologies.

This trimester, I was able to dive even further into reading and interpreting lab results with the clinical laboratory diagnosis class. I had been looking forward to this class for a long time, and I can say—without a doubt—that it has been one of my favorite clinical courses at NUHS so far! We dove deeply into topics such as anemia, leukemia, lipoproteins, diabetes, and coagulation, liver, kidney, adrenal, thyroid, muscle, and joint issues. This course got me thinking critically. I synthesized information that I previously learned in new and critical ways. Dr. Aikenhead is an excellent professor. I had an inkling that I would enjoy reading and interpreting labs, and I was definitely right!

Rose Garden 2

Now, I just need to remain focused on my studies during this next week and a half. Sooner than I know it, I will be on break again to get some much-needed rest and relaxation. I am especially looking forward to a special camping trip with my wife and canine (Bentley). I definitely look forward to my new classes next trimester, but first…I will stop and smell the roses!

Katie Kavicky-Mels

Katie Kavicky-Mels

My name is Katie Kavicky-Mels, and I am in my last year of the Naturopathic Medicine program at NUHS. I am a naturopathic intern at the student clinic in Lombard. I live in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin, but I currently live on campus. My roots are deep in nature, and I enjoy camping, hiking, foraging and campfires. I am passionate about addressing the root causes of health issues using nature as the foundation. I look forward to sharing my naturopathic journey with you. I like meeting new folks, so please reach out if you have any questions!