Peer Tutoring: An Amazing Student Resource at NUHS

by Nov 12, 2021

Home » Naturopathic Medicine Student Blog » Peer Tutoring: An Amazing Student Resource at NUHS

I want to share some of my thoughts about the peer tutoring services available to students. Tutoring is my personal favorite resource that NUHS students have access to.

When I was in Phase 1 of the Naturopathic Medicine program, which consists of basic science courses, I personally took advantage of each student tutoring session for each class I was enrolled in. There were excellent peer tutors for the many courses of anatomy, biochemistry, physiology and histology.

Business Plan Development

Tutoring served as an excellent opportunity for me to get the most out of the material I was learning. Weekly tutoring sessions allowed me to reinforce what I was learning, ask questions, and hear concepts presented in a slightly different way (which often helped the concepts sink into my mind more fully). Although I sometimes showed up because I was struggling with grasping certain concepts, I did not always attend the tutoring sessions because of this. I also noticed that consistently showing up to tutoring sessions helped me with long-term learning retention, integration of the material, and sparked deeper and more critical thinking. I also frequently had “ah-ha moments” where I would see what I was learning within a larger perspective. I always came to the tutoring sessions prepared, having read through the lectures a couple of times. As a result, I took away so much from peer tutoring. 

To any incoming Naturopathic Medicine or Chiropractic Medicine student, I cannot recommend attending weekly tutoring sessions enough. And…would you believe me if I told you that peer tutoring at NUHS is totally free? It is free, and it is an awesome resource! Although there’s a lot of tutoring for Phase 1 courses, several Phase 2 courses also have peer tutors.

I benefited from and enjoyed the experience of peer tutoring so much that I actually became a peer tutor myself. I have been tutoring Neuroanatomy since last trimester. I meet with Trimester 2 ND and DC students weekly for neuroanatomy tutoring. We spend tutoring time together in several ways, such as being in the cadaver lab, reviewing lecture concepts, and I also offer mock practical exams. It has been a wonderful experience to help support other students in their learning of the challenging material.

And, in addition to peer tutoring, don’t miss these helpful student life hacks!

{{cta(’03fd43e4-1983-4e8f-bee9-9cf7ff8c156b’)}}

Katie Kavicky-Mels

Katie Kavicky-Mels

My name is Katie Kavicky-Mels, and I am in my last year of the Naturopathic Medicine program at NUHS. I am a naturopathic intern at the student clinic in Lombard. I live in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin, but I currently live on campus. My roots are deep in nature, and I enjoy camping, hiking, foraging and campfires. I am passionate about addressing the root causes of health issues using nature as the foundation. I look forward to sharing my naturopathic journey with you. I like meeting new folks, so please reach out if you have any questions!