Homecoming 2017

by Aug 25, 2017

Over the weekend, I attended NUHS Homecoming thanks to a generous donation from 1957 alumnus Dr. Titus Plomaritis, who sponsored several students to attend the celebration. This was the first year that there were separate DC, ND, AOM, and massage therapy talks, and I think they went well! It’s always hard giving up three days of a four-day weekend, but I was inspired to hear Dr. Paul Epstein, one of the elders of the naturopathic profession, talk about the mind-body connection. 

2017-06-30_hc1
Naturopathic doctors and students with Dr. Epstein after his final session.

Dr. Epstein had us start and end each morning with meditation, as he does with many of his patients. We learned about a lot of research that shows a strong connection between chronic disease and unresolved adverse childhood events and traumas. As naturopathic doctors, one of the principles is to treat the whole person, and part of our philosophy is to identify the root cause of disease. Therefore, recognizing the importance of the mind-body connection and how the body can physically manifest past emotional traumas is a key piece in helping patients get well. 

2017-06-30_hc2
Dr. Plomaritis and a few of the students he sponsored.

Getting to know Dr. Plomaritis was also a highlight of Homecoming. He first introduced himself during the mentorship session, and many of the students he sponsored including me got to know him better over lunch. He shared amazing personal stories about his life, and about advancing the chiropractic profession by his work influencing politicians, including President Jimmy Carter, which had lead to removing a controversial clause in the National Health Bill, which would have prevented people from seeing chiropractic doctors without a referral from a medical doctor. His stories and enthusiasm peaked my interest in reading his autobiography called “Titus,” for which he hopes to become a best-selling author.

Mary Simon

Mary Simon

I'm a naturopathic medical student at NUHS. I started the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine Program in January 2014. I was born and raised in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, a beautiful town on Lake Michigan. My experiences interpreting (Spanish to English) in nearly all medical specialties solidified my decision to study naturopathic medicine, as I saw a deep need for treating the body as a whole, getting to the root causes of symptoms, and using minimally invasive low-cost therapies to restore health.