Exam Week is Done & A Dive Into Botanical Medicine

by Oct 15, 2021

Home » Naturopathic Medicine Student Blog » Exam Week is Done & A Dive Into Botanical Medicine

Last week was Week 5 of the trimester, and I had several exams. Exam weeks can definitely get stressful. There’s a lot of studying to juggle along with keeping up with the material of the other courses that do not have exams. During exam weeks, I personally find that maintaining my normal schedule works best for me. This keeps my stress levels lower. I continue to prioritize by preparing healthy meals, jumping on my mini trampoline, talking to my parents when walking outside, and getting plenty of sleep. Self-care is always my priority, as it helps me perform the best I can on exams.

Picture1

With the first round of exams already behind me, I realize how fast this trimester is chugging along. I am really enjoying my Phase 2 courses of the Naturopathic Medicine program. I am especially enjoying my Botanical Medicine I course. Botanical medicine has been a large interest of mine for many years, and I am now enjoying the deep dive into botanicals this trimester. 

We have been learning about the active constituents, secondary metabolites, and phytochemistry present in various botanicals and functional foods. So far, we dove deep into botanicals for musculoskeletal concerns. Now we are starting to learn about botanicals for neuromuscular concerns.

In the past, I made my own herbal tinctures and medicinal decoctions. Being in this course has re-triggered my passion for these things, and I have been exploring herbs and functional foods in new ways. Although it is great to learn in class, I personally find it really exciting when I work with the physical botanicals and functional foods themselves and apply what I learn to my own life in creative ways.

I am totally enjoying the first botanical medicine course. Since there are four botanical medicine courses in this program, I realize that I have a lot to look forward to!

{{cta(’03fd43e4-1983-4e8f-bee9-9cf7ff8c156b’)}}

Katie Kavicky-Mels

Katie Kavicky-Mels

My name is Katie Kavicky-Mels, and I am in my last year of the Naturopathic Medicine program at NUHS. I am a naturopathic intern at the student clinic in Lombard. I live in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin, but I currently live on campus. My roots are deep in nature, and I enjoy camping, hiking, foraging and campfires. I am passionate about addressing the root causes of health issues using nature as the foundation. I look forward to sharing my naturopathic journey with you. I like meeting new folks, so please reach out if you have any questions!