Clinic Hydrotherapy Services

by Apr 13, 2017

Home » Naturopathic Medicine Student Blog » Clinic Hydrotherapy Services

At the beginning of the trimester, I wrote about my hydrotherapy shift in the clinic and mentioned that I’d follow up with a post about the treatments offered. To end this trimester’s blog posts – here it is!

Constitutional Hydrotherapy

HydroThis treatment alternates hot and cold towels over the upper torso while being wrapped in a dry sheet and a wool blanket. First, warm moist towels are applied to the chest for 5 minutes, then cold, damp towels for 10 minutes, followed by a dry towel for 10 minutes. The hot and cold phases are then repeated on the back. Some of the many indications for constitutional hydrotherapy include acute infections such as bronchitis, flu, upper respiratory infections, gastrointestinal conditions (irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis), and reproductive health (PMS, dysmenorrhea, infertility).

Russian Steam

The patient sits in a steam cabinet for up to 20 minutes. Following the procedure, they usually are wrapped in a wet sheet with a wool blanket for 20 minutes. Russian steam treatments are used to induce sweating, treat mild fevers, insomnia, sinus pressure, and nervousness.

Peat Bath

Peat is a decomposed organic material from a bog in the Czech Republic. It’s known for its detoxifying properties. The peat is mixed in a bathtub with hot water and the patient stays in the bath for up to 20 minutes, and then is usually wrapped in a wet or dry sheet for 20 minutes. Viral infections, sciatica, back pain, gynecological disorders, rheumatoid and osteoarthritis are some of the indications for peat baths that are seen frequently.

Infrared Sauna (coming soon)

Infrared heat penetrates more deeply than warmed air, promoting sweating and detoxification. Many patients will follow this up with a cold treatment such as a cold shower or wet sheet pack. Infrared saunas can help people detoxify heavy metals, promote weight loss, reduce chronic pain, increase lactation, and reduce systolic hypertension.

Thanks for reading my last blog post of the trimester! There are several other hydrotherapies that we are trained to do such as nasosympatico, cold mitten friction, fomentations, sitz baths, enemas, colonics, peloid packs, and salt glows. The examples I gave are just a few of the MANY conditions that can be helped by hydrotherapy treatments. Make an appointment at the clinic and speak with a naturopathic intern about options and individualized guidance to reach your health goals. 

Finals are starting shortly and then students will be on break for two weeks. Expect my next blog post in mid-May. In the meantime, email me with any questions.

Mary Simon

Mary Simon

I'm a naturopathic medical student at NUHS. I started the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine Program in January 2014. I was born and raised in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, a beautiful town on Lake Michigan. My experiences interpreting (Spanish to English) in nearly all medical specialties solidified my decision to study naturopathic medicine, as I saw a deep need for treating the body as a whole, getting to the root causes of symptoms, and using minimally invasive low-cost therapies to restore health.