Back in the Naturopathic Student Clinic After a Refreshing Break

by May 19, 2023

Home » Naturopathic Medicine Student Blog » Back in the Naturopathic Student Clinic After a Refreshing Break

My break from school was very much needed and especially rejuvenating this time around. I kicked off my break perfectly—my wife and I got an amazing couples massage and then got dressed up for an orchestra concert. I made meals that were new, creative, and delicious (no batch cooking like usual!), went on several walks each day with my wife and dog, spent a lot of quality time together, enjoyed the country scenery, jumped on the rebounder trampoline, watched spirituality and consciousness videos, and enjoyed my infrared sauna for 45 minutes each day. I literally committed my entire break to doing things that totally nourish, relax, and fulfill me. Since I spent my last break studying for the NPLEX exam, I was able to fully let go and enjoy this last break from school before graduation. I have returned back to school feeling fully refreshed, nourished, and eager for another trimester!

During break, I also took some time to come up with schedule for the upcoming trimester that better prioritizes my personal self-care strategies, goals and downtime. I think that prioritizing these things and building them into the schedule is absolutely essential, especially considering the fact that I am working with patients on a daily basis. I want to engage in the healthy lifestyle practices that I regularly promote. Taking good care of myself means that I can be more present in the clinic. I will see patients every Monday through Friday until I graduate in December (feel free to request working with me if that interests you)!

In Clinic

This trimester, I will be in the student clinic more than last trimester (yay!) along with 5 courses: environmental medicine/toxicology/detoxification, botanical medicine IV, pediatrics, minor surgery and ND practice management. As always, I look forward to my botanical medicine course (which is a topic/class that I always enjoy). I am also looking forward to the environmental medicine course, as becoming aware of some environmental issues were main contributors to my initial interest in natural medicine. 

I am excited for another wonderful trimester along with many learning opportunities in the naturopathic student clinic!

Learn more about the curriculum in the naturopathic medicine program at NUHS here!

Katie Kavicky-Mels

Katie Kavicky-Mels

My name is Katie Kavicky-Mels, and I am in my last year of the Naturopathic Medicine program at NUHS. I am a naturopathic intern at the student clinic in Lombard. I live in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin, but I currently live on campus. My roots are deep in nature, and I enjoy camping, hiking, foraging and campfires. I am passionate about addressing the root causes of health issues using nature as the foundation. I look forward to sharing my naturopathic journey with you. I like meeting new folks, so please reach out if you have any questions!