A Nice Autumn Rest Stop

by Nov 11, 2022

Home » Naturopathic Medicine Student Blog » A Nice Autumn Rest Stop

Last weekend was especially enjoyable for me. My wife and dog visited for a beautiful autumn weekend. They arrived on Friday afternoon, and we immediately enjoyed some decompression time on the couch. I studied a bit while my dog dozed off right next to me and my wife chilled out after a long drive. I love the feeling of simply being together. 

That evening, we attended an on-campus event—Fall Fest! It took place in the Student Center. People enjoyed dressing up in their Halloween costumes, eating pizza, and participating in (or watching) a Fear Factor event. Dr. Curtin also did some live drumming to music, which was fun. Some school clubs also had tables with activities. I chose to spend my time there painting pumpkins with my wife. It was a great way to decompress from a long week and let my right brain take over. I painted Bentley (my dog) on my pumpkin! My wife painted brown hair, several multi-colored skin lesions, and a very strange looking mouth with bright red lips on her pumpkin. Now I have both pumpkins in my apartment. Whenever I see them, I think of her and my dog, and it makes me smile. 

Pup

On Saturday, we enjoyed the beautiful autumn weather by walking around and exploring different areas of the neighborhood. We visited a local park and together we experienced the gorgeous leaf color changes in real time. My wife brought me a loaf of pumpkin bread (paleo pumpkin bread is amazing!), so it was a nice addition to the homemade coconut milk ice cream I made the week beforehand. To top the weekend off, I even enjoyed a rare treat—I slept in 35 minutes on Sunday morning!

The autumn-themed weekend was a much-needed break in the middle of the trimester. I feel more rested and ready to take on the upcoming exams and quizzes. And I just realized that winter break will be here before I know it!

Check out the numerous career possibilities open to naturopathic physicians at 5 unique health care facilities hiring naturopathic physicians in 2022

Katie Kavicky-Mels

Katie Kavicky-Mels

My name is Katie Kavicky-Mels, and I am in my last year of the Naturopathic Medicine program at NUHS. I am a naturopathic intern at the student clinic in Lombard. I live in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin, but I currently live on campus. My roots are deep in nature, and I enjoy camping, hiking, foraging and campfires. I am passionate about addressing the root causes of health issues using nature as the foundation. I look forward to sharing my naturopathic journey with you. I like meeting new folks, so please reach out if you have any questions!