Perinatal Care With Webster Certification

by Jan 27, 2023

Home » Chiropractic Medicine Student Blog - Illinois » Perinatal Care With Webster Certification

This past weekend I attended a weekend seminar called perinatal care with Webster certification through the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA). We learned the importance of the Webster Technique, normal physiology of individuals during pregnancy and birth, birth trauma significance to Chiropractic Perinatal Care, and the importance of checking newborns. At the beginning of the weekend, the instructor began by stating the fact that the human gut is lined with more than 100 million nerve cells, so your gut reaction is actually a true reaction. It is important to believe, listen, and trust in your intuition, especially during the birthing process. The weekend emphasized the importance of chiropractic care in pregnancy and during birth to promote normal physiological function.

iStock-482105237

The Webster Technique is a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment that reduces nervous system stress, balances the bones of the pelvis, muscles and ligaments, and optimizes the mother’s pelvis function in pregnancy and birth. Birth trauma can include traction, rotational stresses, and hyperextension of the baby’s head. It is important to note that nerve dysfunction associated with birth trauma may result in irritability, digestive disorders, respiratory distress, and neurological defects. Birth trauma injuries include shoulder dystocia, fetal distress, brain damage, and many others. It is important to educate patients that there are no known contraindications to chiropractic spinal and pelvic adjustments throughout pregnancy, so that they do not enter our chiropractic offices with fear or uncertainty. The certification was very informative regarding female and fetal health during and after pregnancy, and I highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in chiropractic care during pregnancy.

For more information about natural medicine options related to infants and childbirth, read How Alternative Medicine Helped Me Have a Natural, Unmedicated Birth.

{{cta(‘306042fa-a486-4975-b06d-dae7935a40fb’)}}

Hannah Synon

Hannah Synon

My name is Hannah, and I am in Phase III of the chiropractic program at NUHS. I was raised in St. Joseph, Michigan, a beautiful town on Lake Michigan. Currently, I live in Schaumburg with my husband, Zach. I love to travel, bake, and watch horror movies. Chiropractic medicine is my passion, as it provides more natural remedies and methods for obtaining a healthier life. I love meeting new people, and I look forward to sharing my chiropractic journey with you.