Hooray for Finals!

by Dec 14, 2018

Hooray for finals…just six tests away from “freedom”! Aaaand I got sick.

With all of the studying to be done, this is one of the worst times to be ill; my only hope is that it will pass quickly. Being a student at this school, there is always someone looking to help when you are feeling under the weather, and there are even different flavors to choose from to help your body fight off the bugs. 

As a chiropractic student, one of my first thoughts is that you could get adjusted. There have been a few studies to show that Chiropractic manipulative therapy can create short-term viscerosomatic effects on the phagocytic activity of neutrophils and mononuclear cells.

Other studies have seen upper cervical adjustments boost CD4 “helper” T-cell counts. Our ND students might recommend that you set up a hydrotherapy appointment. The contrast temperature therapies they use can improve the function of your parasympathetic nervous system and increase the concentration of cytotoxic T- Cells.

20181210_100852

There are a whole lot of vitamins, herbs, and spices all with the ability to improve your body’s ability to fight off a cold. Oriental Medicine was my modality of choice for herbs, the formula that was made for me is designed to break down the phlegm and stop my cough. Since I was in the clinic already, I decided a little bit of acupuncture could make all of the difference and the cupping left me feeling a lot lest achy walking out the door than I did when I came in. The cupping itself works to improve micro-circulation, promoting capillary endothelial cell repair causing chemically measurable metabolic changes in the tissues where the technique is performed, it to modulates immune response.

20181210_100834

So, now I get watch and wait to see how this pans out, and try to get as much rest as possible just as soon as these tests are done. Well, that’s it till next term! May your next year be a great one!

Helpful Resources:

Slosberg M. IMMUNE RESPONSES TO SPINAL MANIPULATION. Chiro.org. http://www.chiro.org/research/ABSTRACTS/Immune_Responses_to_Spinal_Manipulation.shtml. Published 2011. Accessed December 10, 2018.

Mooventhan, A., & Nivethitha, L. (2014). Scientific evidence-based effects of hydrotherapy on various systems of the body. North American journal of medical sciences, 6(5), 199-209.

Mehta, P., & Dhapte, V. (2015). Cupping therapy: A prudent remedy for a plethora of medical ailments. Journal of traditional and complementary medicine, 5(3), 127-34. doi:10.1016/j.jtcme.2014.11.036

Sarah Montesa

Sarah Montesa

My name is Sarah, and I have been a student on the NUHS Lombard campus since Fall of 2014. Right now, I am pursuing dual degrees in Chiropractic and Oriental Medicine.