Adventures in a Baking Garden

by Jun 15, 2018

Home » Chiropractic Medicine Student Blog - Illinois » Adventures in a Baking Garden

My garden is starting to really come along, especially with all of the rain that we have been having. The lettuces have been really happy with the weather and are growing out of control. Being able to walk outside and pick out dinner is pretty wonderful.

LR_rhubarb

Out of all of the plants we have, my son has been the most excited about the rhubarb. I will sometimes catch him wandering around gnawing on a stalk of the stuff. I have so many fond memories involving this plant, and now in school, I have herbal medicine classes, which talk all about the health benefits of eating it. Rhubarb can help with gastrointestinal issues it is very fibrous and has blood sugar regulating properties. This is what inspired my most recent attempt at baking with limited ingredients and non-traditional flours.

To make the crust:

• 2 cups of grain free flour (I found a blended one with almond, walnut, pecan, and coconut)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt

LR_rhubarbcrisp

Combine these ingredients mix well, and press the dough firmly into the bottom of a lightly greased 8” x 8” pan. Put it in the oven at 350° degrees for 15 minutes. When you take your crust out, it should be lightly browned. Now onto making that delicious fruit filling!

For the strawberry rhubarb center, you will need:

• About 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped finely (add a little more if you want a more tart flavor)
  • 2 cups of fresh strawberries, chopped finely
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp arrowroot powder to help thicken

LR_rhubarbsetup

All of these ingredients will go into a medium-sized pot. Heat on low, stirring until the mixture begins to thicken into a jam-like consistency, about 20 minutes. When it reaches a consistency that you like to spread it over there crust with a spatula.

Crumb mixture for the top:

These are the same ingredients that went into making your crus.t You can initially mix them all together and separate out about a cup to sprinkle on top of the jam.

• 1 cup almond flour
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • Pinch of sea salt

Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the filling, and then the thing goes back into the oven for 35-40 minutes. You’ll know that they are done when the crumble top is lightly brown. If you want to cut them in to bar form, allow them to cool completely for a few hours. But, if you are impatient like me, you can eat this right away while it is still hot. It will be crumbly if you do this, so I’d recommend putting it in a bowl–you could slap a scoop of ice cream on top, too–enjoy!

Sarah Montesa

Sarah Montesa

My name is Sarah, and I have been a student on the NUHS Lombard campus since Fall of 2014. Right now, I am pursuing dual degrees in Chiropractic and Oriental Medicine.