“We’ve Got Your Backs” – Tutors

by Dec 10, 2021

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » “We’ve Got Your Backs” – Tutors

For those currently cramming for final exams next week, we understand that the DC program at NUHS is quite challenging and time consuming. Fortunately, NUHS offers academic assistance by providing free peer weekly tutoring for most basic science (phase 1) curriculum. I, myself, am a tutor for Systems Pathology I, Histology II, and Neuroendocrinology, GI & Reproductive Physiology. Having used tutors previously in other courses, I felt like this was a chance for me to support others struggling with material and guide them. Teaching others requires one to discover the best method a student learns. Drawing out pathways works better for some while forming charts and tables works better for others. It forces the tutor to really become flexible and adapt to the student’s needs. Sometimes the way a professor explains a specific topic can be confusing to another’s mind, or it can just be challenging material to grasp. I have found that tutors can re-word material in a way that might help the student have that “aha” moment and have the material click.

Tutoring Pic

Tutoring is also beneficial for the tutor themselves. The best way to learn is to teach, and tutoring another enables one to master those concepts better. Meeting with a tutor enables you to have one-on-one attention with an older tri student who was once in the same shoes as you. It also poses the advantage of having insight as to what was emphasized in those classes and was expected to know on exams. With hectic student schedules, tutoring is easily available in person or online! I’ve scheduled several tutoring sessions via Zoom that have worked really well.

If you are struggling with a course topic, contact the class tutor or professor. We are here for you and rooting for your success! We’ve got your back.

Alexandra Simic Hachmann

Alexandra Simic Hachmann

My name is Alexandra Simic Hachmann and I am currently in my 10th trimester of the Doctor of Chiropractic program here at NUHS - Florida. I am officially an intern at the HEC clinic! I have obtained a B.A. in Biology and Biomedical Sciences, as well as a Master of Medical Science degree. While I believe my educational background has helped me succeed in this challenging program, I appreciate all the professors’ efforts in helping us excel and prepare for our careers. As a hands-on visual learner, I am embracing the palpation courses and anatomy labs offered! I am still determining which field in chiropractic I would like to pursue; thus, readers should stick around to discover this with me! I hope to bring insightful content to this blog and demonstrate what student life is like at NUHS in sunny Florida.