Every November on a brisk fall night in Florida, we celebrate a tradition that spans back to the beginning of NUHS Florida. Last year I won the ultimate prize at Turkey Bowl. I was the MVP and my team was 2016 Turkey Bowl Champions! Some of you might be asking, “What is Turkey Bowl?” Unfortunately you need to be there to understand, but I will briefly describe some of the things that go on at Turkey Bowl.
- Flag Football Tournament – each team is picked randomly the day of the event. Each team has at least one professor and the rest consists of students and alumni.
- Food – Turkey Bowl is catered and there is food and drinks for all who attend.
- Socializing – Not all students, faculty, or professors play in the flag football tournament. A lot of the attendees at Turkey Bowl bring their kids or dogs and hang out together. It is a great chance to see friends from other trimesters, friends who are now alumni, and old professors from phases 1 and 2. My clinician even made an appearance this year!
- Giveaways – Turkey Bowl is sponsored by BioFreeze! All the attendees receive T-shirts, BioFreeze, and prizes. Who doesn’t love free stuff?
- Fun – Turkey Bowl is a TON OF FUN. Whether you are competing for the ultimate prize or enjoying an Iced Tea with friends and family while watching the spectacle that is Turkey Bowl, everyone has a great time.
I am honestly sad at the thought of this being my last Turkey Bowl, but knowing alumni come every year makes me consider booking a flight back to St. Petersburg, Florida, one day for the Turkey Bowl if I end up moving after graduation.
This year, I didn’t compete in Football, instead I brought my dog Jett and stood on the sidelines with my friends from the program. I decided to retire on top of my game! I’ve been on both the winning and losing side of Turkey Bowl and now I’ve been on the sidelines as well. All three times I had a blast! It is a tradition that I hope continues for the rest of time and I am happy to have been a part of it while I was in school here.
Our campus is unlike any other chiropractic school. Having visited other schools and having friends in other schools I know that no other school compares to how close-knit our campus is. You need to be here to experience it. Turkey Bowl is and always will be something special.
Thank you for reading my blog if you have any questions please email me at ChristopherKotwicki@student.NUHS.edu.