The Importance of a Well-rounded Education

by Feb 17, 2023

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » The Importance of a Well-rounded Education

This past weekend I had a lot of time to reflect on the journey of my education over the past trimesters and simply felt gratitude for the people in my life who have helped me come this far.

I got married over the weekend to my best friend and was lucky to have my NUHS friends present to partake in the celebrations. I am fortunate to have friends from all my educational stages in life: childhood, undergraduate, Master’s, and post-graduate DC. It was a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a night of lots of dancing and laughing. It was an unforgettable day and one I will always cherish. Our cheesy line of “he takes care of my teeth, while I’ll take care of his back” was a hit with family and friends. Although my ~ husband ~ (a general dentist) and I are in very different health professions, I have found that my well-rounded education at NUHS has brought on great conversations at home about topics we’ve both been taught.

Alexs Wedding

Left: Adam and me on our wedding day!

Right: NUHS-Florida Tri-8 friends (L to R): Chris, Jared, me, Adam, Vincent and Peter.

For example, in my current Advanced Technique II course taught by Dr. Cooper, we dove into learning more about the muscles of mastication and the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). We learned how to properly inspect facial symmetry, observe mandibular gait (and note any popping or clicking), and palpate mastication muscles, joint line and accessory motion of the TMJ. Then we learned several adjustive procedures and soft tissue techniques to help alleviate TMJ dysfunction. After learning this in class, I discussed the topics with my husband, and he also agreed on performing those techniques. He was surprised I was learning that and I found myself grateful that this DC program encourages a broad education.

This 8th trimester we are taking courses in Dermatology, Radiology Report Writing, Sports Medicine, Risk Management and Ethical Management of a Chiropractic Practice. I believe all our courses are well-versed in preparing us to become successful chiropractic professionals with a versatile background. I truly believe this program aims to expose us to as much as possible so we can face the world with confidence and ease. Not only will I be able to alleviate a future patient’s TMJ dysfunctional pain, but I’ll also be equipped to identify red flags when I spot a suspicious skin lesion that needs a referral, and I’ll hopefully be able to better read X-ray images and understand the mechanisms behind writing a radiology report.

Read more about the chiropractic profession at What is a Chiropractic Physician and What Can They Do?, and Unique Panels Give Florida-Site Students an Extra Edge.

{{cta(’88d1f92c-eec6-45a6-ada7-5a0fa717195b’)}}

Alexandra Simic Hachmann

Alexandra Simic Hachmann

My name is Alexandra Simic Hachmann and I am currently in my 10th trimester of the Doctor of Chiropractic program here at NUHS - Florida. I am officially an intern at the HEC clinic! I have obtained a B.A. in Biology and Biomedical Sciences, as well as a Master of Medical Science degree. While I believe my educational background has helped me succeed in this challenging program, I appreciate all the professors’ efforts in helping us excel and prepare for our careers. As a hands-on visual learner, I am embracing the palpation courses and anatomy labs offered! I am still determining which field in chiropractic I would like to pursue; thus, readers should stick around to discover this with me! I hope to bring insightful content to this blog and demonstrate what student life is like at NUHS in sunny Florida.