Staying Involved with Sports Council

by Jun 16, 2017

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » Staying Involved with Sports Council

When I first started here at NUHS, I was excited to join the Sports Council. National University of Health Sciences in Florida has one club that is unique to our campus and that is the Sports Council. Overseen by Dr. Carlo Guadagno, the ACA’s sports chiropractor of the year, the Sports Council volunteers at various local sporting events throughout the year. Upon joining, I soon found out the majority of outreach events were primarily for the interns because they are the ones who can provide treatment to the athletes at the events. I still went to the events and volunteered in other ways, but I couldn’t wait until I was an intern so I could treat the athletes. Now that I am intern, I can go to these events and provide treatment to the athletes under the supervision of a licensed DC.

Students at NUHS have minimum outreach hour requirements. Students must earn on-campus and off-campus volunteer hours. In addition to the volunteer hours, students must also obtain clinic outreach hours. The Sports Council events count as either off-campus volunteer hours or clinic outreach hours. They give us the opportunity to give back to the community more often than any of the other clubs. That is why I am staying involved in the club by attending the meetings when possible to mentor the students in the lower trimesters, review the lessons being taught, and to stay informed on the events.

2017-06-19_sportscouncil

This week, the Sports Council had their first meeting of the trimester. The meeting went well. I made an announcement regarding an upcoming seminar, Dr. G discussed the schedule, they announced the upcoming events, and then the president of Sports Council took everyone through some stretches for the rest of the meeting. They even made a handout of the stretches we did.

It was a great meeting; I am looking forward to staying involved in the meetings and going to the upcoming events. The Sports Council at NUHS-Florida is just another unique opportunity at our school. If you have any questions about student clubs or student life in general, please email me. [email protected]

Christopher Kotwicki

Christopher Kotwicki

My name is Christopher Kotwicki and I am a future Doctor of Chiropractic! I am also a self-proclaimed beach bum, animal lover, fitness junkie, and sports fanatic.