Sports Council Miami

by Oct 25, 2019

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » Sports Council Miami

This weekend was absolutely amazing! I was able to head down to Miami, Fl to attend the American Chiropractic Association Sports Council (ACASC) Annual Symposium. This is a great conference that brings the best and brightest sports chiropractic minds together for a weekend full of quality education and great networking opportunities. This was my second year attending and it was my favorite symposium of the year!

This year there were some amazing presentations covering a wide range of sports chiropractic topics. One of the best was certainly listening to Dr. Warren Hammer talk about his process for evaluation and treatment of patients as well the physiology and reasoning behind his techniques. For those readers that don’t know who Dr. Hammer is, he is one of the original minds behind fascial manipulation and is an incredibly smart and humble doc. It was great to meet him and pick his brain a little bit after he finished his talks. NUHS’s own professors presented another presentation that was also very valuable! Dr. Guadagno and Dr. Bob Arnold teamed up to deliver a great discussion on Management of Concussion and Post Concussion Symptoms. It was a very cool experience to be able to see my professors represent us so well on stage. Overall, it was an extremely educational weekend!

American Chiropractic Association Sports Council (ACASC) Annual Symposium

Last year, I was the only student from the NUHS-Fl Sports Council that attended the ACASC symposium. I was also the second person to attend our school to present a student research poster in the Tom Hyde Research Poster Presentation. My goal over the last year was to increase interest in the conference and hopefully convince students to participate. I was very excited that we had nine students in attendance this year and another poster presenter! And to make the weekend even better, my classmate won second place in the research competition for his literature analysis and research proposal on Tai Chi and Qi Gong as Treatment for Sports Related Discussion. To see him put together this research poster over the last year has been a wonderful opportunity and I couldn’t be happier to see NUHS-Fl do so well in this competition for the second year in a row!

NUHS Students at American Chiropractic Association Sports Council (ACASC) Annual Symposium

Finally, over the last year I have been eager to become more involved in the Sports Council program and sports chiropractic in general, so this year I applied for the National Student ACASC Executive Board. I am very pleased to say I was awarded the Second Vice President Position. Through this appointed position, I will be in charge of coordinating student events for the 2020 symposium (September 2020 in Long Beach, Ca) and will serve as a primary contact between the student executive board and a lot of sports docs in the field. I look forward to the opportunity to represent NUHS on the national stage and am eager to see where this position may lead in the future!

If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].

Addison Ozakyol

Addison Ozakyol

My name is Addison Ozakyol and I am currently in my tenth and final trimester of the Doctor of Chiropractic Program here at NUHS - Florida. I am eagerly approaching graduation and look forward to practicing with an emphasis in sports medicine and acupuncture. I hope to bring useful content to this blog and showcase what life is like here at NUHS - Florida.