President’s Day was a Beach Day

by Feb 23, 2018

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » President’s Day was a Beach Day

We had a three-day weekend for President’s Day and the interns of NUHS headed to the local beaches for a day of fun in the sun.

Prior to our three days off, we had been doing everything possible to fulfill our graduation requirements. This past week I had to work up new complaints. I have been co-managing a couple of cases with my patient’s orthopedists. We can take X-rays here on campus, but when clinically warranted, patients need to get advanced imaging via Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).

MRI can help diagnostically with soft tissue structures. We have experience reading MRI from class but a clinical setting is very as my reading has weight on the patient case. I was checking for a meniscus tear in the MRI and thankfully I did not see any issues. The radiologist confirmed what I saw. It was a great experience for me looking at the MRI and explaining what I saw to the patient. In my opinion reading MRI is a lot easier than reading X-rays, because the signs are more obvious than some subtle changes on X-ray that could be mistaken for pathology. Sometimes shadows on X-ray can mimic a fracture. As far as I know, there are seldom similar situations for MRIs. Here is a basic comparison of normal and abnormal MRI of a knee.

meniscus

Needless to say, I am happy my patient did not have a tear and I was able to help facilitate healing with the cold laser, giving the patient rehabilitative exercises to recover and prevent further injury.

Later in the week we had a three-day weekend as NUHS was off for President’s Day. My friends and I took advantage of the three day weekend and the 80 degree weather. My fellow NUHS interns and I went to Madeira Beach for the day. The sun was shining, the water was refreshing, and there was even a slight breeze. It was a perfect day for the beach, as being from NJ, I am not used to beach days in February. These are the days I am going to miss the most. I very close with my fellow interns; we all come from different parts of the country to go to school in one of the most vibrant places to live.

presday_collage

They call St. Petersburg, Fla. the “Sunshine City.” Days like President’s Day truly embody that nickname.

If you have any questions please email me at [email protected].

Christopher Kotwicki

Christopher Kotwicki

My name is Christopher Kotwicki and I am a future Doctor of Chiropractic! I am also a self-proclaimed beach bum, animal lover, fitness junkie, and sports fanatic.