First Sports Council Meeting

by Feb 3, 2017

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » First Sports Council Meeting

This week we had our first Sports Council meeting of the trimester. Dr. Guadagno, the American Chiropractic Association’s Sports Chiropractor of the Year, showed us the basics of applying kinesiology tape.

2017-02-03_taping1

There was a huge turnout for the meeting as it was filled with students from every trimester! In addition to an introduction to kinesiology taping, we went over stability taping and strapping by Mike, one of the NUHS students who is a certified athletic trainer. We watched Dr. G and Mike demonstrate on a couple students. Dr. G taped a shoulder and Mike taped an ankle. Afterwards, we broke up into groups and practiced the techniques we just learned.

In addition to Sports Council, I attended the first Student American Chiropractic Association (SACA) meeting of the trimester. I am required to be there because I am on the elected board for the chapter at our school. We discussed our plans for our trip to Washington, D.C. in March. We also discussed our plans for fundraisers and community outreach. We usually volunteer at the local Veterans Affairs Hospital in St. Petersburg.

2017-02-03_lab

I have been trying to improve my skills in manipulation this trimester because next trimester I will be in clinic and therefore treating patients. To improve my skills in manipulation, I have attended every open adjusting lab this trimester. The open adjusting labs have had great turnouts! Not only was I able to work on my adjusting, I have been helping others with their manipulation and palpation.

Next week is our first patient encounter of the trimester!

Thank you for reading my blog, if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

Christopher Kotwicki

Christopher Kotwicki

My name is Christopher Kotwicki and I am a future Doctor of Chiropractic! I am also a self-proclaimed beach bum, animal lover, fitness junkie, and sports fanatic.