Family and Fossils

by Jul 3, 2020

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » Family and Fossils

After taking my Part 2 chiropractic board exam two weeks ago, I was able to score a flight home for a nice visit with the family. Since COVID-19 hit during the end of my last trimester, I was unable to go home for break as I had wanted and was due for a visit home. With regulations lifting slightly, and enough time upon my return to self-quarantine before seeing patients, I didn’t hesitate to hurry home!

Family

I spent several days at home with my family, enjoying take out from my favorite New Mexican restaurants and quality time at home. I got a chance to go on a hike, play video games with my brother, and even mow the lawn (something I have actually missed since living in an apartment). After a few days at home, my brother and I took a sibling road trip up to Kemmerer, Wyoming – a small town in the southwest corner of the state. If you google “things to do in Kemmerer” only two things come up: the original J.C. Penny store founded in 1902 and fish fossil digging.

Buildings

My brother has always been interested in fossils, so we made the trip up to find some of our own. I will be honest, sitting in the rocks in the middle of nowhere digging up fossils for eight hours (yes, EIGHT HOURS) without shade did not sound all that appealing to me, but it ended up being a blast! After an hour or two of figuring out how to hammer and chisel at the rocks in the best way to reveal the fossils, and channeling a little luck, I finally fell into the groove of things and began to discover some good fossil finds. The day was very long and exhausting but being able to take home fossils we had dug up ourselves was a very cool experience and I will always treasure having these little fish up on my shelves.

Addison 1

The very next day we made the drive back to Albuquerque stopping at a few fun towns along the way. We took Stegosaurus Freeway through Dinosaur, Colorado and continued on to the tiny mountain town of Ouray where we stopped for a short break. This was truly a beautiful place nestled in between the mountains and I really hope to go back and spend some time there one day. Upon arriving back home it was time to pack up my fossils and rest up as much as possible before flying back to Florida within the next two days. I am so glad I took the opportunity to see my family before we return to in person clinic in the coming weeks. Being away from my family during the pandemic was challenging, as I’m sure many of you readers have experienced in the past months. Seeing them helped me regain a bit of sanity and gave me a boost that’ll carry me through the end of this trimester and the upcoming board exams!

As always, if you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].

Addison Ozakyol

Addison Ozakyol

My name is Addison Ozakyol and I am currently in my tenth and final trimester of the Doctor of Chiropractic Program here at NUHS - Florida. I am eagerly approaching graduation and look forward to practicing with an emphasis in sports medicine and acupuncture. I hope to bring useful content to this blog and showcase what life is like here at NUHS - Florida.