Club Activities

by Jul 20, 2018

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. The Fourth of July was rather uneventful down here in Florida. I spent the day at the beach with some friends, but a huge storm rolled through when the sun started to set, so nearly all of the fireworks in the city were canceled. We still had a fun night back at my friend’s house playing card games and Mario Kart!

Addison_Celebration

The clubs on campus have had quite a few events lately! The week of the Fourth of July, Lambda Chi, the Sorority club on campus, hosted a barbecue lunch by donation–raising money to benefit Shriners Hospitals for Children. They served ribs, mashed potatoes, corn, fruit and cookies and everything was delicious (and homemade!). They also had BYOI (bring your own item) Tie-Dye out behind our building! Although I didn’t bring anything to tie die, I saw people working on their shirts throughout the event. It was fun to see everyone raise money for a good cause and celebrate Independence Day together.

Addison_technique

Last week, Sports Council had a fun event too! We had Dr. Case, one of our professors, come in and teach us the basics to identifying trigger points, as well as provide some treatment examples for us to try out. We were able to practice trigger point releases for the piriformis, IT band, quadratus lumborum, and several muscles involved with Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) dysfunction. My favorite was releasing the medial and lateral pterygoid muscles – these releases are done from inside the mouth! Dr. Case talked to us about a variety of techniques but mentioned that he has made use of the Nimmo – Receptor Tonus Technique when he was in practice. I am looking forward to doing a little more research on this technique, as well as some others, as soon as we finish this wave of exams.

If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].

Addison Ozakyol

Addison Ozakyol

My name is Addison Ozakyol and I am currently in my tenth and final trimester of the Doctor of Chiropractic Program here at NUHS - Florida. I am eagerly approaching graduation and look forward to practicing with an emphasis in sports medicine and acupuncture. I hope to bring useful content to this blog and showcase what life is like here at NUHS - Florida.