A Busy Start to the Tri

by Feb 7, 2020

Home » Chiropractic Student Blog - Florida » A Busy Start to the Tri

Just three weeks into this trimester, and we have already hit the ground running! To start things off, we had our trimesterly Club Lunch event. This is an opportunity for the upper tri students to meet the incoming class, as well as give our student clubs a chance to showcase their activities and events for the upcoming trimester. The new students are then able to sign up for clubs and begin getting involved pretty much as soon as they begin their courses.

This time was my last as a president of a club as I am finishing up my final term as the president of the ChiroGames organization. It was a little bittersweet, but I am glad to be able to devote a little more time to the national memberships and groups with which I have started to be involved. That being said, Club Lunch served as a great chance for me to bring a new opportunity to my peers, particularly as the Senior Ambassador for NCMIC’s Starting into Practice Program. I was able to present new resources and even debut a new scholarship offered by NCMIC to our students. I was also grateful to receive the NUHS Community Service award at our Club Lunch. This award is only given to students who have gone above and beyond with community service and on campus volunteering. I was pleased to receive the recognition for my ongoing work in the local community and for my efforts on campus.

Dr Strauss and Addison-1

Through our club lunch event, I ended up being invited as a guest speaker to our Sports Council Club’s first meeting. I was very happy to present for a lunch period all about athletic ankle taping and lateral ankle sprains. We had a great turnout for the talk and were able to get about 15 students taping ankles by the end of the day. We actually had more people than we anticipated and ended up running out of tape! It was a good problem to have, and it’s always nice to see good involvement with our clubs on campus.

Taping Demo 1

We also had a guest speaker who provided some very valuable insight. One of our professors is good friends with Jason Bryant, a local entrepreneur and coach who has made a name for himself within the Pinellas County community. He was able to come in and speak to us over one of our lunch breaks and give us a little bit of a background on his story, as well as tips and tricks for working toward success. I think that my most valuable takeaway was to continue with planning out key steps of my future and my life, and setting attainable goals as I pursue life after graduation. I took some time over the weekend to reassess my own goals and set new benchmarks to meet and feel confident about my aspirations moving forward.

Classroom

As always, if you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].

Addison Ozakyol

Addison Ozakyol

My name is Addison Ozakyol and I am currently in my tenth and final trimester of the Doctor of Chiropractic Program here at NUHS - Florida. I am eagerly approaching graduation and look forward to practicing with an emphasis in sports medicine and acupuncture. I hope to bring useful content to this blog and showcase what life is like here at NUHS - Florida.