The Benefits of Lo Dou (aka, Mung Beans)

by Mar 26, 2021

Home » Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Student Blog » The Benefits of Lo Dou (aka, Mung Beans)

Chinese Herbal Medicine (CHM) is equally as fascinating as it is challenging. The main thing that contributes to its challenging nature is the massive amount of herbs that you learn! In Materia Medica 1-3 we learn over 300 individual herbs, we cover indications, compatibility, side effects and the nature and function of each herb. I have made flash cards, comparison charts and online quizzes but the most helpful thing so far is establishing personal connections with each herb. This week I focused on Lu Dou, aka mung beans.

Mung Beans_Horizontal

Lo Dou is classified as sweet and cold in nature and is included in the category of herbs that clear heat and purge fire. The mung bean skin or Lu Dou Yi has the same function, plus it has the ability to benefit the eyes. I purchased some mung bean seeds and decided to make some sprouts so I could enjoy them throughout the week.

Mung Beans_Composite

One of the beautiful parts of CHM is that foods can be used as medicine. Come schedule an appointment with me in the clinic, and I’d love to discuss other helpful swaps you can add to your meals. Comment below your favorite way to prepare Lo Dou.

{{cta(’85c6fa70-0834-4e22-8934-8e0b3441f4c8′)}}

Danielle Pureifory

Danielle Pureifory

My name is Danielle, and I am currently in my last trimester in the MSOM program here at NUHS – Illinois. I’m a travel addict, animal lover, and a hobby farmer who is passionate about helping the under-resourced community. I look forward to sharing my journey with you, and I hope you read something that inspires you to start your own journey.