Success and Fear

by Apr 21, 2023

As the trimester draws to a close, I am exhausted. I have tried in every way to be positive and productive throughout the Tri, yet here I am drinking the “devil’s brew (coffee)” with reckless abandonment! But there was a flash of success in the clinic which brought me much needed joy and yet the feeling of fear. I am treating a patient with PCOS who was trying to conceive. The patient is a friend of mine, and I was aware of her journey. I don’t know about you all but sometimes mentioning acupuncture to friends and family is like inviting them to church or discussing politics. I am not sure if I should or if it is my place to offer a different healing modality. So, I offered, and she accepted and came to the clinic.

Dealing with a friend or family member as a patient can be a bit harrowing, because we know intimately how they are feeling or how they are dealing with health issues. But as a woman who was married for 10 years before conceiving, I would understand the feelings in this situation of a stranger. She came in, and I explained the process and what we would focus on. She came in diligently and took the prescribed herbs. A week before her cycle, she came twice a week, and we did the regular acupuncture protocol, but added e-stim to Zigong. At this point she had been coming in for a little over two months. Well, her cycle never came…she is pregnant! Now my friend/patient is six weeks pregnant!! Now I would like to wrap her in bubble wrap, so no harm comes to her or her baby.

This is why we are at NUHS–to see success stories and be a part of someone’s healing journey. I know there are patients whom I will assist with diabetes or hypertension, but there is nothing like helping someone bring a new life into the world. Being an AOM student, and eventually a practitioner is amazing, but there is the fear of success not happening for a patient who “heard” of someone getting pregnant or no longer having hypertension.

We as AOM students understand that everyone is radically different, and that some follow advice better than others. But that little beam of success has given me a nod to keep going–it will be worth it!

Find out more about acupuncture and how it is widely used to treat different health issues here.

Grad Hats 2

I wish you all much success on finals. For those who are graduating congratulations–you are my heroes you made it to the finish line!

{{cta(’85c6fa70-0834-4e22-8934-8e0b3441f4c8′)}}

Monique Carter

Monique Carter

My name is Monique Carter and I am a student in National University's AOM program. I chose this program because the basic tenets of Chinese Acupuncture and Herbs align with a holistic healing process that is steeped in years of tradition and research. I anticipate that learning these skills and applying this knowledge will allow me to help many in need. Starting this journey at the age of 49 has been humbling as well as life-changing, I am excited and grateful!