Research: Evidence-Based Practice

by Mar 24, 2023

Home » Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Student Blog » Research: Evidence-Based Practice

Hey, we are at week 11! Can you believe it some are approaching graduation and the rest of us are welcoming a reprieve from the rigors of studying. I am currently in an Evidence-Based Practice class and it has me thinking will I ever become a researcher? As I am reading over the research in the area that I am focusing on in the class, I am intrigued. In the area of AOM the studies are amazing, but in the conclusion section of the research many say, “More studies are needed….” There is a lack of Evidenced-Based research in the field of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal medicine.

2 Monique_RESEARCH IMAGE

I am wrapping my mind around how my actual practice will look and what my specialties will be. This can be daunting, because the minute I think I have a vision in my mind the further I go in the program, it changes. Now how do I become a researcher? How do I find others to conduct the research with me? I believe it is awesome to add to the body of scientific knowledge of AOM. I have a friend who graduated from the ND program, and she published an article in a medical journal. Maybe I can start there, this seems more doable.

Are any of you all interested in being published? Have you decided on your area of concentration in your future AOM practice? Will you teach and practice? The options are unlimited! I am excited about my future and the opportunities the AOM degree and licensing will bring. But first FINALS!!

For more information about research at NUHS, visit Research: Leading the Way and Clinical Research.

{{cta(’85c6fa70-0834-4e22-8934-8e0b3441f4c8′)}}

Monique Carter

Monique Carter

My name is Monique Carter and I am a student in National University's AOM program. I chose this program because the basic tenets of Chinese Acupuncture and Herbs align with a holistic healing process that is steeped in years of tradition and research. I anticipate that learning these skills and applying this knowledge will allow me to help many in need. Starting this journey at the age of 49 has been humbling as well as life-changing, I am excited and grateful!