Promise made, promise kept

by Sep 7, 2018

Home » Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Student Blog » Promise made, promise kept

Hello, awesome you! My name is Rina, and thank you for joining me on this journey as I pursue my degree for the Master of Science in Oriental Medicine (MSOM) program. I am currently in my third trimester at National University of Health Science on the Lombard campus. 

I made a promise to my father nine years ago before he took his last breath. I am an only child first generation American with both my parents migrating from Cambodia. My father’s dream was for me to complete my master’s degree. The MSOM program was a career that I knew was chosen for me long before I had any career aspirations. It was not just because it was one of my father’s goals for me, it was also God making it clear that this was my path. 

shutterstock_59778361

I have worked in the medical field for over 10 years. I have been exposed to the beginning of life, handing a newborn baby to a first time mother, and assisting an elderly man who just had a CAGB (open heart surgery) as we ambulate around the hospital floor. I have comforted a woman who was just diagnosed with cancer. I have said goodbye to children who left this earth too soon. No matter what stage of life, beginning, during, or the end, I have learned a tremendous amount in these ten years. I have prayed and meditated, believed with my mind, body, and soul that this was my calling. This career path of ancient medicine has been used for many centuries, and I am interested in learning more and gaining an even deeper understanding of the practices.

I have met many wonderful people along the way. I believe that people we meet are not by accident, they are placed in our lives to teach us. Our World, including the people, places, and things around us allow us to learn about ourselves, and how we can make a difference. My love and compassion to help others has always been my number one drive. As I explore more into my studies, I truly believe I will be successful in my endeavors.

With my unique background and the drive to be successful, I know NUHS has allowed me to be part of a family that supports future leaders who strive for the ethical practice of the healing arts and science as taught within the university. Everyone goes in with their own unique life story, chapters written and edited, but lessons to overcome and learn. So welcome, I hope you will support me in this next journey in my life story. If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback I look forward to hearing from you, my email address is [email protected].

Rina Sem

Rina Sem

Rina Sem is a student at the Lombard, Illinois campus studying in the Master of Science-Oriental Medicine program. Though working in the medical field for 10 years, she is keeping the promise she made to her father to complete her master’s degree. Rina is a first-generation American of Cambodian heritage, and passionate about her studies in the field of complementary and alternative medicine.