Find Your Balance

by Apr 9, 2021

Week thirteen is upon us at NUHS, which means the start of final examinations, projects, papers & presentations. This portion of the trimester is equally as stressful as it is busy. On the brighter side, it looks like spring is here to stay! It seems that the nicer weather has given the student clinic a small boost, it’s starting to become slightly busier, which is very exciting for us as interns! At the completion of the MSOM degree we must see a total of 450 patients, so the busier the better!

Danielle 3

In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) the five elements are water, metal, earth, fire, and wood, and each of these elements are associated with different organs, emotions, colors, seasons, tastes and many others. Springtime, the liver, the gallbladder, and their respective meridians are linked with the wood element. Spring is a time of renewal and of rebirth, the warming rays of the sun fuel the budding plants.

Danielles Collage

Similarly, the energy of the liver is budding as well, as it moves upward and outward. I find that gardening is a great stress reliever, my plants are doing well and it’s time to upgrade my tomato plant into a larger container. To stay balanced with the wood element try embracing this transitional time, go for a walk or a hike, get your hands dirty and start a garden, adjust your diet, try to welcome this creative time! The list continues, but of course acupuncture is a great way to bring forth harmony.

{{cta(’85c6fa70-0834-4e22-8934-8e0b3441f4c8′)}}

Danielle Pureifory

Danielle Pureifory

My name is Danielle, and I am currently in my last trimester in the MSOM program here at NUHS – Illinois. I’m a travel addict, animal lover, and a hobby farmer who is passionate about helping the under-resourced community. I look forward to sharing my journey with you, and I hope you read something that inspires you to start your own journey.