Beyond CCLs

by Jun 15, 2023

One day our journey at NUHS will come to an end. I have three full trimesters left. When I first started, I was so overwhelmed with point location and anatomy lab I did not think I would make it this far! My confidence has grown tremendously, and I have return patients in the school clinic. The joy of witnessing patients improving via a treatment protocol and Chinese herbs is amazing. I knew that acupuncture and Chinese herbs were effective I was a patient of a friend who graduated from NUHS. It was a full circle moment when I was looking for schools that had accredited AOM programs and she told me she went to NUHS. That helped me to finalize my decision.

I now have this burning fire in my heart to give back and utilize my skills after I am licensed to assist communities who are suffering. I have been visiting different websites to see how and where I can assist organizations who help people for free. The Acupuncturists Without Borders: Medicine of Peace (https://acuwithoutborders.org/) is a great organization that provides disaster relief all over the world using the NADA protocol in community settings. They recently sent a group to Ukraine. I grew up in the inner city of Chicago and I am looking into groups that are providing alternative healing modalities in communities that are ravaged by violence, poverty, and lack of resources. As a former educator I know that there are many programs in the schools that offer Yoga and Mindfulness classes during and after school. But I would like to work with teenagers or young adults.

NUHS is preparing us with much needed skills to provide healing to many in our communities and all over the world. I have friends and family who come to the clinic and NADA along with ESM have helped to alleviate some of their mental health issues. They come for other health issues as well but often the mental healing clears the way for physical healing. I am grateful and humbled to have acquired these ancient healing techniques that have been validated by years of research and is still evolving. I hope to always make room for volunteerism long after the CCL requirements end…at least I won’t have to do a write up after LOL!!!!

Monique Carter

Monique Carter

My name is Monique Carter and I am a student in National University's AOM program. I chose this program because the basic tenets of Chinese Acupuncture and Herbs align with a holistic healing process that is steeped in years of tradition and research. I anticipate that learning these skills and applying this knowledge will allow me to help many in need. Starting this journey at the age of 49 has been humbling as well as life-changing, I am excited and grateful!