An Oldie, but a Goodie

by Nov 6, 2020

If you have ever been to an acupuncture clinic, then you might recall the smoky scent of moxa. Moxa, also known as Ai Ye, Artemisia or mugwort, improves qi and blood circulation, expels cold and travels through the meridian channels. Experimental research has shown that moxa can thermally stimulate both deep and shallow areas of skin tissue. Moxa can be used for so many conditions: malposition of fetus, osteoarthritis, soft tissue injury, weakness, pain management, gynecological issues, increased immunity (by stimulating white blood cell production), vitality boosting, fatigue and many more.

Moxa Stick

Before beginning the AOM program I never heard of moxa. My first experience with it was during the acupuncture & accessory technique class. I have to admit, I have an aversion to strong smells, so I wasn’t the biggest fan. I decided to do some research on moxa, because I was interested in the immunity and vitality benefits it’s associated with. Ancient Chinese physicians believed that daily moxibustion on acupuncture point St-36 could help prevent disease. There is also a famous Japanese folk tale of a farmer living to over 240 years old, and when asked what his secret was, he said he burned moxa on St-36 daily. There are many more testimonials and research studies, and they all convinced me to experiment with moxibustion.

Moxa PracticeA long story short, I succumbed to the magic of moxa. While the clinic was closed on campus, during quarantine, I experimented on myself and my family. I opted to use the smokeless version, and still use it regularly when needed! It’s week nine of the trimester and it’s time again to focus in for the exams next week.

Danielle Pureifory

Danielle Pureifory

My name is Danielle, and I am currently in my last trimester in the MSOM program here at NUHS – Illinois. I’m a travel addict, animal lover, and a hobby farmer who is passionate about helping the under-resourced community. I look forward to sharing my journey with you, and I hope you read something that inspires you to start your own journey.