14 Hours in Istanbul

by Nov 17, 2017

As you know, last week I had to fly back to Romania and be with my mom who had major surgery. The time I spent with mom in hospital was draining but priceless. I got to see her recovering a bit more every single day and was also able to put my knowledge at work.

Mom is better, and of course, I had to get back to school.

2017-11-17_bldg1.jpg

Buying my flight just before I left didn’t give me too many options and the prices weren’t very good. I had to choose the best compromise between price and flight time, so I chose a ticket that had a 14-hour layover in Istanbul when coming back to U.S.

2017-11-17_lights.jpg

I figured after spending one week in hospital I needed something to clear my mind, help me get back into student mode, and pass the rest of my midterms. I knew I was going to be tired, but I decided if I’m going to be in Istanbul I’m not going to spend that time in the airport or sleeping in a hotel room, but I am going to get out and walk around as much as I could.

In the beginning, I had my doubts that I’d manage to do that feeling so tired and drained, but as soon as I landed I was charmed by that place. Being a city that thrives from tourism, people are going over the moon to make your stay pleasant and I think that’s the most important thing. Yes, there are things and places to see, yes, food is amazing and the prices are cheap, but people are just the best!

2017-11-17_fabric.jpg

I only had a few hours but I got to see the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, and the Grand Bazaar.

It was my first time in Turkey but I was very impressed and I definitely plan to come back one day when I’ll have more time to explore.

2017-11-17_bldg2.jpg

Now I’m back, already took another midterm, and I’m looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend so I can recover completely and get rid of any jet lag.

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving! 

Iuliana Lixandru

Iuliana Lixandru

Hello! I'm Iuliana and I'm a student at National University of Health Sciences in the Master of Science in Oriental Medicine (MSOM) program.