My Favorite Breakfast For Lazy Mornings: Shakshuka

by Jul 12, 2017

Home » Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Student Blog » My Favorite Breakfast For Lazy Mornings: Shakshuka

Title sounds a bit like an oxymoron since I never seem to have time for lazy mornings anymore, but that doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t dream about them!

Even if free time is not on my list, my ND intern says breakfast really has to happen so here I am trying my best and giving up my sweet darling sleep (oh, how I adore you!!!) so I can make breakfast every morning. I confess, sometimes I end up eating it for lunch, but hey, at least I’m eating!

Going back to food and my favorite breakfast, if you never heard or tried Shakshuka, you have no idea what you’re losing!

Wikipedia is telling me that Shakshuka’s origin lies in Tunisia, but I have no idea if it’s true or not. I only know that nowadays you can find it everywhere in Israel, and first time I tried it I was visiting a Jewish friend and he told us he’s going to cook something traditional for us.

Recipe is not so difficult and if you chop all veggies beforehand, it’s actually an easy and fast breakfast.

2017-07-12_food

Shakshuka

Ingredients:

• 1-2 chopped onions
  • 2 chopped red bell peppers
  • 1 Tbsp. avocado oil/ghee/butter
  • 2 jars or cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. cardamom
  • Salt and pepper
  • Feta crumbles (optional)
  • Fresh parsley for garnish
  • 6 eggs

Heat a large skillet. Add the fat, chopped onions, red bell peppers, and sauté until everything begins to soften. Add diced tomatoes, spices, stir well, and let everything simmer over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes (depends on how much liquid your tomatoes had). When the liquid is reduced, crack the eggs one by one on top of the mixture.

Cover the skillet and allow eggs to cook for about 5 minutes. When ready, you can sprinkle some feta and fresh parsley and serve with toast.

If you wonder how’s school going and what’s new on that front, let me tell you this trimester decided to get me buried in papers and projects! Can’t seem to find my organized mind and memory in all these quizzes, midterms, papers, seminars, and God knows what else! I keep taking deep breaths, counting the days, and telling myself that I’ll have to keep up with this craziness next tri, too, but then, everything will be so much easier in spring with less classes and just a bunch of clinic shifts.

If you have more time than me, go out, enjoy that sunshine and eat your breakfast! 🙂

Iuliana Lixandru

Iuliana Lixandru

Hello! I'm Iuliana and I'm a student at National University of Health Sciences in the Master of Science in Oriental Medicine (MSOM) program.