Book Addiction

by Oct 27, 2017

I’ve always loved to read. As a child, I was the one skipping playdates because I was what we call in Romanian “a bookcase mouse.” I remember all my summer vacations having 3-4 books by my bed and starting them all because one was never enough.

I also remember some good years when my mom started making more money and almost evert week she came home with new books.

2017-10-27_reading.jpg

Reading in the airport lounge

My “addiction” grew bigger with years and with any new interest my bookshelves became heavier. When I had my first dog, I started my bookshelf about training and caring for pets. When I was working from home and had more time I started my cookbook collection.

As you can imagine, the biggest part of my collection relates to alternative medicine but that doesn’t mean I read only those. I like a good novel and when I read before bed, I still love the feeling of a real book and not my Kindle.

2017-10-27_bookstore.jpg

Bookstore in Bucharest, Romania

I love browsing isles in Half Price Books stores and I always leave with my hands full. These stores were one of the things that I fell for when I relocated to the U.S. Being able to afford more books anytime I wanted was a dream come true.

How many acupuncture and oriental medicine books do I have? A lot! Have I read all of them? Not really. Some of the books required in classes are not exactly what I was looking for, so in time I researched and bought the ones that I thought were better and helped me understand more.

When do I have time to read? Every time I have a free moment like a patient cancellation, a long flight, or just a couple of minutes before going to bed. I read some pages. I found out that if I keep a book in my purse at all times, pretty soon I’ll be done reading it.

Do I have all the books I want? I wish! With so many books out there, I always want a new one.

Do I read only in English? No. I still love to read in my native language and every time I go to Romania I come back with a couple of books.

Next book on my list? Right now everything is about me taking boards so review books are on top of the list. 

Iuliana Lixandru

Iuliana Lixandru

Hello! I'm Iuliana and I'm a student at National University of Health Sciences in the Master of Science in Oriental Medicine (MSOM) program.