Another Challenge

by Nov 10, 2017

Middle of last week I got a phone call letting me know mom was quite sick and prepped for surgery. Doctors weren’t very optimistic about prognosis. Mom was scared, dad was even more terrified, and everybody thought she wouldn’t come out alive from the surgery block. 

It was obvious that my parents needed help and I decided to take a week off from school and fly home to be with them.

Being an only child and so far away is definitely not easy, and here I was Saturday evening flying to Bucharest with a long layover in Istanbul.

My flight happened after three midterms and as soon as I’m back I’ll have to take two more that I missed, register for next trimester classes, and start studying for finals.

Truth be told, nothing matters because surgery was successful, mom is out of the woods, dad can smile again, and even their dog is beyond happy to see mom back home after very long ten days.

2017-11-10_butterfly.jpg

I won’t go into medical details but I will say that doctors were surprised about the fast recovery and I’ll tell you — always carry acupuncture needles in your purse because you never know when you’re going to need them.

Also, it definitely pays off to go to a medical school, know what the doctors are talking about, understand labs, and be able to explain what’s happening your family. If it wasn’t for anything else but this, and I’d go happily to school again! 

Iuliana Lixandru

Iuliana Lixandru

Hello! I'm Iuliana and I'm a student at National University of Health Sciences in the Master of Science in Oriental Medicine (MSOM) program.